Last year, Joy Moore lived through a nightmare for the third time. After the Baltimore resident and mother of two had her son screened for lead poisoning, she learned that the test came back positive. Much to Moore’s dismay, he had a shockingly high blood lead level of 17 — more than three times the amount that is considered elevated.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t Moore’s first encounter with lead. Indeed, it seemed as though the dangerous neurotoxin was following her around. Not only did Moore and her four siblings test positive for lead paint poisoning as children, but her oldest child also recorded high blood lead levels several years ago. Moore was determined to avoid exposing her youngest child to lead paint, so she moved into a new home when she was several months pregnant. But the landlord there furnished a false lead certificate before she moved in, Moore said, and…
View original post 2,858 more words