Honorable Marcus Mosiah Garvey; UHURU 🌍UBUNTU ✊🏾🇯🇲👊🏾
By Shamone Nelson | February 11, 2018
- Marcus Mosiah Garvey Jr. was born August 17, 1887, in St. Ann’s Bay, Jamaica. Out of 11 siblings, he was the youngest and only he and one of his sisters lived to adulthood.
- Garvey left Jamaica in 1912 to go study and go to college at Birkbeck College in London.He worked for‘The African Times and Oriental Review’ at the college.
- In 1916, Garvey created the Black Star Line in 1919, a shipping line used to transport goods and passengers betweenAmerica, the Caribbean and Africa. The shipping line was a major part of the Back-to-Africa movement.
- The Pan-Africanist leader formed thefirst Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League (UNIA–ACL) division in Harlem, New York. At its height, the UNIA had over one thousand chapters across the world with over 1 million members
- Garvey also had a publication called “TheNegro World” which wasestablished in…
View original post 135 more words